Friday, December 2, 2011


Thanksgiving vacation was everything I'd hoped it would be and more! On Wednesday, I forced Big Daddy to take off work early and drive us out to the Christmas tree farm to get our tree early.

For the first time since JR was born, we'll be spending Christmas in Chicago with Big Daddy's family, instead of here in Alabama at our own house. Big Daddy's one of 5 children, and his oldest brother lives in the Philippines, BUT will be home for Christmas this month - for the first time in many, many years - Woo Hoo! So all that to say, since I wasn't going to be here to celebrate Christmas under 'our' tree, I wanted to get it up as early as possible so I could enjoy it as long as possible.

Normally, I'm one of those people who doesn't like to put up anything Christmas until AFTER Thanksgiving. I've always been opposed to the 'Christmas creep.' But this year I was so ready for Christmas - don't know why? Seems like I wasn't the only one either.

We drove out to the tree farm late Wednesday afternoon. They weren't technically open, but Big Daddy had purchased a HUGE tree from them for a tree lighting on Friday (more to come on that!) and he called ahead and they said they'd be there and to just come on by - so sweet! I really can't say enough good things about this tree farm. We've been going there for 8 years now. One year we forgot they took only cash and check and arrived, cut down our tree and had no way to pay. The owner took pity on us and let us go on with our tree and told us to just mail him a check - mail him a check? You just don't find kindness and trust like that many places.

So - we arrived - got our saw and headed out to pick a tree. Now. Here's the thing about our tree selecting abilities. You see....... what looks like just the right size out in the field, usually turns out to be a little more than we expected in the family room.

This year = no exception.

Here we are - totally unaware of the battle we are about to face:

JR took this one

And here is Big Daddy laboring away under the tree. He went through 2 hacksaw batteries and finally had to resort to hand sawing. After about 15 minutes of that, he asked me to come pull on the tree to try to tilt it over. When I went to put my hand in to grab the trunk (after inspecting it closely for small woodland creatures of course!) I realized, as my hand sunk in....... and in..... and in, that we had one big honkin tree on our hands.

Finally the beast came free and we headed over to the (now hysterically laughing) staff to pay. They were super kind and let us go out to the barn to pet the goats - some babies!- and chickens and horses. I think they really just felt bad for our kids - "What kind of people can't see that that tree has "Grizzwald" written all over it?" LOL

After the tree farm, we met my parents and nieces to watch the Muppet Movie - which was so great.

Then we went home for dinner and to make a few of these:

On Thanksgiving Day, we spent all morning in our PJ's watching the parade and cooking. Then after lunch we headed over to my parents. I had printed out some 'pinterest' coloring sheets for the kids.

After a YUMMY meal, the kids put together gingerbread houses.

Or at least 3 of them did - someone was more interested in eating their gingerbread house......

Friday, we had the lighting of that GIANT tree Big Daddy and his partner's purchased for one of their developments. It was great fun, but I didn't take any pictures. Sadness. But they were giving out free photos with Santa, and this is a picture of our picture:

One great Thanksgiving Weekend!