Pages

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Texas Trip Day 2

Well, we made it to Texas on Day 1, but only to the Texas side of Texarkana.   Texarkana sits on the state line of Texas and Arkansas (and, at the time, they thought it was also on the state line of Louisiana - thus the name "Tex" "ark" "ana" - but it turned out the city founders were off by *just a few* miles and Louisiana was really miles away.)  A million years ago, my family lived in Texarkana, but it looked nothing like it does today!  Man, has that place grown!

We had some Hilton Honors points to burn, so the kids and I stayed in the Hampton Inn and Suites in Texarkana.  Hilton also had a brand spankin' new Hilton Garden Inn, but we opted not to stay there because they wanted 30,000 points for one night.  I mean, seriously?  For 30,000 points, I'd better be on a beach.  Ha!  :-)

Anyway, the Hampton Inn was nice, clean, and safe (always a concern for a mom traveling alone with kids.)  The breakfast was awesome - they had the oatmeal with raisins, almonds, and brown sugar that I normally pay $3 to $4 for at McDonalds or Starbucks.  Score!  After breakfast and a quick workout, we were on our way to Austin!


Now, in case I haven't mentioned it before, my sisters in law are awesome!  They knew that by the time we arrived in Austin, I'd have 2 stir crazy kids on my hands, so once we were unpacked and ready for dinner, they took us out to burn off some energy!


First, we ate dinner at a wonderful bbq place in North Austin called Rudy's.  It was very kid friendly, bbq by the pound, lots of picnic tables, and (most importantly) no need to keep the noise down.


Next, they took us to a place called Main Event where the kids could play unlimited glow in the dark putt putt, lazer tag, bowling and more for $10 each.
So fun!

And, when ML and I went outside to get something from the car, a nice man on his way out, gave us a card for unlimited video games - score!
Normally, I'm against doing things that we could do at home - but in this case, we needed some mindless fun for the kids (ie: non boring) and non stressful.  This was perfect.  It was a great way to start our trip to Austin!

0 comments: